Dear Friends and Family,
In our office, it’s not unusual for one beloved question to pop up even before we’ve had a chance to exchange hugs and “hellos:”
“What are you watching?”
As we snuggle in with loved ones, we are still asking each other the same question. Here is a list of a few of the films our work family is turning to for laughs, hope, comfort, inspiration and distraction in these uncharted days.
9. CONTAGION: Watching characters confront our worst fears from our couch, with a bottle of wine, is cathartic and quite comforting.
8. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT/ BRIDESMAIDS / KNOCKED UP: Comedies are basically the Vitamin C of the movie universe. According to Psychology Today, laughter abets mental health, lowers anxiety, releases tension, improves mood and can actually boost your immune system. Need more proof? Check out Mel Brooks! The man is 100 years old and his friend Carl Reiner is 97!
7. THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION: Much like Morgan Freeman’s character in The Shawshank Redemption, we liked Andy from the start. The Shawshank Redemption proves that hope can survive even in the darkest of circumstances.
6. LARS AND THE REAL GIRL: Lars And The Real Girl is a delightfully quirky entry that explores the importance of community coming together for the common good.
5. MIRACLE/ RUDY/ THE BLIND SIDE: These sports films with heart remind us how important it is to set aside our differences and work together as a team.
4. ZOOTOPIA: Zootopia humorously deals with stereotypes, breaking barriers and the power of working together despite differences.
3. HARRIET: Harriet is a wildly inspiring biopic that will leave your whole family clapping and crying.
2. FOREST GUMP: “I may not be a smart man, but I know what love is.” Do we really need to say more?
1. INSIDE OUT: “Do you ever look at someone and wonder what is going on inside their head?” Pixar did and the result is an endearing and witty affirmation that sometimes it is ok to be sad.
We love being a part of this community!
Stay tuned for our Virtual Festival line up of films you can’t see anywhere else. And, if you have a moment, drop us a note and let us know what you’re watching.
The GIFF Team