Snowed in with nowhere to go and nothing to do? Cozy up in your pajamas, make a Hot Toddy, and tune in to these wintery movies. We’ve selected 15 of our favorites for your viewing pleasure. Let us know what you think and what themes you’d like to see for our next monthly blog. Did your favorite make the list?
1. The Shining – “Come play with us, Danny” and get snowed in with this classic Kubrick film.
Follow along with the adventures of Jack Torrence who becomes a winter caretaker at an isolated hotel in Colorado. Everything takes a turn for the worse when Jack begins discovering the hotel’s dark secrets.
2. The Thing – Practical and makeup effects take this Kurt Russell thriller to an unsurpassed level.
A group of research scientists in Antarctica take in a sled dog, who turns out to be something they don’t expect. A helicopter pilot and the camp doctor attempt to lead the crew to safety as they flee from the dog.
3. Hot Tub Time Machine – Warm up your spirits and enjoy… The super 80s snowsuits! The big hair! Craig Robinson rocking out! See why it’s our favorite winter comedy.
Four adults that are stuck in a rut, get the chance to change their future when they wake up in 1986 after a night of drinking.
4. Wind River – Watch every single actor bring their A-game in this underrated Taylor Sheridan gem.
A wildlife officer finds the body of an 18-year old and must solve the mystery of her death, but finds himself in danger as he attempts to solve the case.
5. Fargo – This Coen brothers masterpiece is the ultimate Frances McDormand showcase.
This crime drama tells the story of a car salesman who comes up with an elaborate scheme to make money, but of course things don’t go as planned.
6. The Grey – It’s survival of the fittest as Liam Neeson battles against the isolating backdrop of Alaska. And wolves.
On their way home from a grueling five-week shift, a storm causes the worker’s plane to crash in the frozen wilderness. The group must battle injuries, icy elements, and hungry wolves as they make their way to civilization and safety.
7. Misery – The movie that made everyone terrified of Kathy Bates.
Annie, rescues a novelist after a serious car crash. Annie, a huge fan of Paul, brings him to her remote cabin to recover, where her obsession grows stronger and takes a dark turn.
8. Beautiful Girls – “The Big Chill” for Gen X-ers.
A 10-year high school reunion brings together a group of old friends and some unexpected surprises.
9. The Hateful Eight – Stave away cabin fever with Tarantino’s latest.
An ragtag group finds shelter from a blizzard at a stagecoach stopover on a mountain pass. They soon learn they may not make it to their destination.
10. Let the Right One In – A hauntingly beautiful tale of childhood at its most blood-thirsty.
A bullied 12-year old boy makes friends with the mysterious and moody new neighbor, but he soon finds out there’s more to his new friend then he first anticipated.
11. Winter’s Bone – JLaw’s introduction to the world, garnering her first Oscar nomination, totally stands up after repeat viewings.
Ree does her best to take care of her two siblings and must risk her life to learn her estranged father’s fate.
12. Cliffhanger – Sly Stallone is at the center of this iconic, often parodied, 90s thriller. You’re gonna love it.
A botched mid-air heist results in suitcases full of cash being searched for by various groups throughout the Rocky Mountains.
13. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – David Fincher’s English-language adaptation is totally kick-ass with Rooney Mara at the helm.
A disgraced financial reporter gets the opportunity to redeem his reputation by attempting to solve a murder.
14. Doctor Zhivago – The costuming! The fur! The romance! The snow! See why it’s a classic.
This movie follows the life of a Russian physician and poet who, although married to another, falls in love with a political activist’s wife and experiences hardship during World War I and then the October Revolution.
15. The Revenant – That goddamned bear!
You’ll be sitting at the edge of your seat as you watch Hugh Glass (Leonardo Dicaprio) utilize his survival skills to find a way back to civilization.